Bookbike London is a social enterprise project which was started by our Head Coach Emdad Rahman. The idea behind this initiative was for Emdad to share free books with people in the community. When the coronavirus pandemic disrupted our lives Emdad expanded the project to include delivery of food, clothes, toiletries, along with a book. The scheme has been a huge success and he is set to reach the 10,000 mark by the end of 2022. We at Ekota Academy are huge fans of this great project and will be providing Emdad and Bookbike with support going forward.
Our plans include:
- Availability of the Ekota Academy hub for cycle storage.
- Ekota Hub and Emerald Café will provide a Bookbike London bookshelf to be stocked up with free books for visitors to the café and Goodmayes Park. This will also include the local community and children/parents who participate in our sporting activities.
- In line with the Covid community spirit Ekota Academy will provide food parcels for sharing by Bookbike London to those in need. The cost of living crisis has left communities at breaking point and we will continue to play our part in supporting others.
- Ekota Academy, the Emerald Café and Bookbike London will provide free books to all our sports participants. This will include parents and carers.
- We will host book swap and reading sessions with senior citizens.
- Also in the pipeline are plans to host local authors for book readings and presentations.
- Bookbike London will be supplying free books to local primary schools.