WHO WE ARE
Ekota originally started with a sporting focus and has expanded to provide a wider range of projects to meet the needs of local communities. Our vision at Ekota is “Empowering communities and future generations through sports, education, knowledge and opportunities.’’
Ekota Academy works to help children and adults improve their learning, sporting abilities and skills through teaching, empowerment and embedding self-confidence. Opportunities are available to learn new skills, get active, build networks and improve physical and mental well-being.
The organisation offers a range of sporting, education and community-based activities provided by our highly-skilled, experienced and knowledgeable team.
Since our establishment, we have been working to bring communities together and increase social cohesion, improve fitness, technical skills and the general health and well-being of local populations.
Our ethos is to encourage all who are involved with our organisation to adhere to behaviours, which centre on respect and unity.
What Does "Ekota" Mean?
The word Ekota in Sanskrit means “Unity” and in Cree, it means “The place to be”. We aim to achieve both of these things by unifying the community and by providing a positive environment, where children and adults can thrive, access opportunities, connect and improve their physical and mental well-being.
Our aim is to bring communities together, nurture and support individuals and groups to flourish and to continue to give back to create a cycle of success. At our heart is the message of being resilient, unique, and connected.
- To operate as a virtual and physical health and well-being community hub. This would include receiving and delivering on social prescribing referrals to help tackle inequalities and a range of societal issues from childhood obesity to loneliness.
- To deliver activities to increase participation for young people and adults at all levels to support improved physical and mental well-being.
- To lead on grassroots activities to create a foundation to nurture future sporting talent and provide opportunities for progression for individuals with the potential and interest in pursuing their sporting ambitions.
- To be a voice and support local community integration to ensure that no groups are excluded and that communities connect to understand their commonalities through sports and other activities.
- To increase female involvement in sports, leadership roles and empower women from all backgrounds.
- To ensure the resilience and leadership capabilities of future generations through mentoring, coaching and leadership development.
At Ekota we do not take a selective approach to those who join our organisation’s activities. We encourage young people with no sporting abilities, varying physical levels and from challenging backgrounds to become involved and participate. This aligns with our central mission statement and approach to maximise participation for all.